Monday, April 29, 2013

The Unique Essence of Languages

You know, it's very interesting. We hear so many different songs on the radio every single day. Countless new albums, songs, bands, genres, and styles are appearing out of nowhere. However, if you actually stop to think about all that you're listening to- there lies a common thread: English.

Some of us claim that we know all there is about music, or we are specialists in all the kinks of a genre of music though we always forget that English is not the only language in the world. We pride ourselves in knowing this language, which isn't exactly universal but very close to it. Though in reality, we use it as a box. A box that has parameters in which we become ignorant of all the music in different languages.

I wanted to try something new this past winter. For Christmas, my parents asked me what I wanted as a gift. I said that I wanted music. To my parents, however, music isn't specific enough. Long story short, after perusing around the internet I saw that Kari Jobe had a new album, Where I find you, and not only that she also had a version recorded in Spanish, Donde Te Encuentro. I don't know what really came over me, but I really wanted to own this album and listen to it-rather than the English recording. Quite frankly, after listening to it I only understood about half of the words but I felt that it conveyed a unique essence that the English version didn't. 

Here are the two versions of one of her songs off the album.






When you translate words into another language-there is bound to be some change in the literal translation-take the Bible for example. There are quite the amount of translations! Though if you listen to these different translations-the Spanish, albeit not the original recorded version, has a fluidity in the diction that the English doesn't have. Why? Well from what I've learned from Vocal Diction- each language has their own vowels and consonants. Spanish is very similar to Italian in many aspects, more so than English. In the English language we use many schwas and tend to have darker vowels. Not to mention homophones and that several words can have different pronunciations-don't you always fret when the word "Bow" comes up when you're singing? Also, examine the everyday conversation between English and Spanish. I mean when I first heard people speaking Spanish my first thoughts were: "Was that a sentence, or a paragraph?" The majority of the words in Spanish end in a vowel, whereas English contains many hard consonants at the end of the words- which interrupts/partially interrupts the air flow depending on the consonant. So really, this "fluidity" that I feel/hear is really the more constant and consistent air flow Spanish words produce when compared to English.

It really makes you wonder, in this case, does translating a song from English to Spanish add fluidity, if so then does translating a song from Spanish to English detract fluidity? That is of course, a whole investigation in itself, but what are your thoughts about this?

2 comments:

  1. I love this Greggers! I think that is so neat that you even thought of that! Ya know, back in Bible times, it wasn't until the tower of Babel that our languages split! Now a days, we turn on the radio, and if it is in a different language we immediately disregard it because obviously, we have no clue what they are saying! BUT, how you approached it, by listening to a song you already knew, in Spanish, you saw the beauty for what it was! Spanish is a beautiful language, and I agree in full on your observation about "fluidity." However, since English is OUR first language, I think that it is our job to ensure that just because a song is sung in English, it shouldn't lose its fluidity or beauty. I was given 3 Englsih pieces this year and that is something Dr. Wilson has really been stressing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greggory,
    Whenever a piece is translated there is always gonna bee differences just like the bible! Thats why we have so many different types one simple letter can change the whole meaning of a word! Often times when you listen to a song in english your not really listening but rather listening to the words! Now when it is in a different language you listen to the music how it sounds how it feels rather just the text!

    ReplyDelete